"Get into the Know"
Note: I (Mark Wells) personally wouldn't want to practice polygamy for myself because I understand the personal
sacrifice that it would take for it to become successful. I write this as an option to help uplift our communities. Playing devil's advocate...DON'T TRIP ON ME:-)
In many different ways, members of our society continue to weigh in on many social issues, whether it is about prostitution, gay marriage, capital punishment, unfaithfulness in relationships or some other social issue. In this current article, the Issues Desk wishes to look at polygamy - specifically, polygyny or male polygamy - presenting ten reasons why it's a creditable alternative.
1) A lot of men already like having as many female partners as possible.They have that natural penchant to be with scores of women. If we forbid it because of some so-called Bible teaching, we only create problems, including unfaithfulness, because men, generally speaking, will still go out to satisfy that desire to be with many women. Let's give men the unhindered chance to do what they enjoy doing - keeping many women as his partners.
2) Polygamy promotes individual rights and freedom. It is obvious that everyone wants to be free to associate, choose, decide and so on, and this applies to the practice of polygamy. The decision to practice polygamy should be left with the individual; it is a personal decision that no person or institution should interfere with. If a man wishes to practice polygamy, or if a woman wants to live in a polygamous marriage, the decision should be left with the person. No one should deprive that individual of this right. To do otherwise is to trample upon the right of the individual to choose what is good for him.
3) Polygamy helps to prevent or minimize adultery. Since, generally speaking, a man enjoys having multiple sexual relationships, or since a man is more likely to cheat on his wife, if a man is allowed to have as many wives as he wants, he will have no, or less, need to practice extra-marital sex. Having only one wife creates a condition for the temptation to cheat to flourish. Polygamy can help solve this problem.
4) Polygamy is part of some culture. By practicing this form of culture, the people feel proud and dignified. Why should some people feel that their one-man-one-wife culture should be more acceptable, or is better, than a one-man-many-wives culture? Is this not what we call ethnocentrism? It is this ethnocentric tendency that has caused many unique cultural practices to be destroyed completely. We must not allow this to happen to polygamy. We must protect our culture.
IS IT BEING PRACTICE BY A LOT OF MEN ANYWAY??
5) Polygamy was practiced by great men of both the Bible and the Quran. Abraham had more than one wife. Jacob had more than one wife. David had more than one wife. Solomon had more than one wife. Mohamed had several wives. God did not condemn or punish any of these men for practicing polygamy. In fact, the Quran puts it clearly - a man is allowed to have up to four wives. Those who think that polygamy is wrong because Adam had only one wife don't understand that Adam had no choice. If God had placed several Eves into the Garden of Eden or somewhere near it, forget it, Adam would have taken them all as wives.
6) Polygamy helps to reduce the number of unmarried women in a society. In other words, it brings hope to the single women among us. If polygamy is enthusiastically welcome and promoted and accepted, the number of married women in our society will be less. We all know what problems most unmarried women face, don't we? Polygamy can help solve these problems. You see what joy and balance polygamy can bring to a society?
7) Polygamy helps men with leadership ability. Most men and women know that women are one of the most difficult creatures to deal with in this world. So, for a man to control a home of three or four wives with different backgrounds and behavior, for example, is a great leadership responsibility. And if a man can successfully manage this, then he's most likely to manage great institutions or people. If one can understand and deal with women easily and successfully, then he has great management and leadership skills.
8) Polygamy teaches a man to learn how to be patient. Many of us know that patience is a great virtue. Most of us also know that women do all kinds of things that annoy, infuriate or frustrate men. As mentioned in the previous argument, women, generally speaking, are troublesome creatures. If a man who has two or three wives can learn to keep them in his life for years, in spite of their troublesome nature, then that man has obtained one of the greatest virtues of life. Do we need impatient people in our society, or patient people?
9) Polygamy is good in that it proves that men have a humanitarian spirit in them - they want to help others. We all know that, as experience has shown, it is the man's responsibility to provide for the home. So, imagine a man who has four wives, each having three children. If this man can willingly, readily and ably provide food, clothing, shelter and other things for the four women and their children, isn't he helping to sustain humanity? Isn't he a humanitarian? Do you know what would happen to those women if they had no one to help them? This is the humanitarian side of polygamy, and it is another reason why we should support it and encourage both men and women to welcome and promote it.
10) Polygamy, like prostitution, is an age-old normal human practice. Polygamy has been with us for ages. It started long before the Flood of Noah came. Some say that the first man to have ever practiced polygamy was Lemech, a man who married two women. It has been practiced since that time. Let's not frustrate its continuation.
To conclude, there are many good reasons why polygamy is a fantastic practice, but because of time and space, only ten reasons have been proffered. Indeed, supporting polygamy is a sensible thing to do because men already like having many partners, it enhances personal freedom, helps to prevent or minimize adultery, is an integral part of some culture, was practiced by great men of Christianity and Islam and other religions, helps to decrease the number of single women in society, helps men with leadership ability, it indicates that men are humanitarian, and it is a normal human practice.
10. Polygamy is great for women because:
For every 100 women of young marriageable age, there are only 70 men.
9. Polygamy is great for women because:
By age 45, for every 100 available men, there are over 200 single women.
8. Polygamy is great for women because:
Unattached women compete with other women, to their detriment, for a chance at the marriage lottery.
7. Polygamy is great for women because:
Divorce is the only other available solution of providing husbands and fathers for the surplus of women.
6. Polygamy is great for women because:
The newly divorced woman is susceptible to the predatory single man. Polygamy offers a marriage alternative.
5. Polygamy is great for women because:
An alternative to single loneliness, fatherless children, and increasing violence and juvenile crime.
4. Polygamy is great for women because:
There are too many homes where the father is absent, 10 million! of them.
3. Polygamy is great for women because:
There are too many children growing up without a father, 50% of them.
2. Polygamy is great for women because:
As a society, we reap the results of fatherlessness, as is evident in the increased crime rate.
1. NUMBER ONE REASON POLYGAMY IS GREAT FOR WOMEN:
The familiar line, "all the good men are taken," won't be valid anymore because the good men can be shared!
MORE GOOD REASONS POLYGAMY
IS GREAT FOR WOMEN!
Single women will find polygamy provides new choices and a solution to the single life.
Plural marriage means a woman does not have to settle for any man rather than none at all.
The man who is kind, considerate and caring, gentle and loving is the man who attracts women to his household.
Rotten men won't get the wives because women don't have to settle for what is available.
We need to be concerned about the young woman with biological needs as yet unfulfilled.
We need to be concerned about the woman who is trying to raise her children by herself.
We need to be concerned about the woman who has already raised her own family and who now faces life alone.
Plural marriage means that if a woman could share a husband, her chances are better of getting a good one.
Plural marriage tends to turn a good but easygoing man into the leader that a woman wants and needs.
Plural marriage tends to reduce the male tendency to tomcat around, resulting in less likelihood of his bringing home an Sexually Transmitted Disease.
This is a very real reality that even i hate to think about , or admit !
It still stands true that if a woman have multiple partners that she will be looked upon in an unfavorable manner. The question i would like answered is is Polygamy simply to convenience a cheating man, and or to solve the ratio to black men to black women, and if so, then morally speaking ,should there be judgment upon a woman who choose this path ?
I don't recommend this in today's society because, as a community, our minds are too sexualize and the intent of polygamy is to built communities where the population is at a higher ratio of women than there are men. This is a fact, there has never been a time on this earth where there were more men than there were women. The reason I did this post is to show the true intentions of polygamy. I find it strange that the establishment using their media will push every other kind of relationship except polygamy. Makes me wonder why especially in a society where there's no accountability for men who have kids with a multiple amount of women. I understand why a sista would cringe at the idea of polygamy in today's society. I know three African brothers who practice this and everyone in their household appears to be happy. They pretty much stay to themselves and they don't boast about it. Now there are those who practice Polyandy.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyandry